Keep track of the news
Pod Save America: progressive podcast about U.S. national politics.
What The Fuck Just Happened Today?: daily summary of major events with links to relevant news articles.
Verify & fact check
FactCheck.org: non-profit & non-partisan political fact checker. By the Annenberg Public Policy Center.
Is Trump at Mar-a-Lago? & Is Trump at Bedminster?: verifies whether Donald Trump is currently staying at select properties which he owns, how much has been spent by his staying at these properties, and what that money could have otherwise paid for.
OpenSecrets: investigates “money in U.S. politics and its effect on elections and public policy”. By the Center for Responsive Politics.
PolitiFact: independent fact checker for statements by politicians & government leaders. By the Tampa Bay Times.
- PunditFact: independent fact checker for statements by political commentators & journalists. By the Tampa Bay Times.
Snopes: Fact Checks: fact checks on various subjects.
Trump’s Lies: a catalogue of outright lies told by Donald Trump since his taking public office. By the New York Times.
On the investigation of Russian interference with the 2016 presidential election & involvement with the Trump administration:
- A running list of Trumpland’s often-shifting stories on their Russia ties. By Vox.
- All of Trump’s Ties to Russia, in 7 Charts (as of March/April 2017). By Politico Magazine.
- Here’s what we know so far about Team Trump’s ties to Russian interests. By the Washington Post.
Sort real news from fake “news”
False, Misleading, Clickbait-y, and/or Satirical “News” Sources: how to analyze news sources, recognize & avoid unreliable sources that are false, misleading, clickbait-y, and/or satirical.
Here’s How to Outsmart Fake News in Your Facebook Feed: different types of fake & misleading “news” and how to identify them. Links to lists of known fake “news” sites. By CNN.
How to Spot Fake News & That Chain E-mail Your Friend Sent to You Is (Likely) Bogus. Seriously.: how to recognize false and/or misleading fake “news” stories & chain letters. By FactCheck.org, a project of The Annenberg Public Policy Center.
None Shall Make Them Afraid: 5 Virtues of Responsible News Consumption: “an alternative to the newsfeed of fear in the way that we read, tell, and embody stories”. By Sojourners.
Tips to Spot False News: Key features to look out for in order to recognize & report fake news. By Facebook.
Domestic & international affairs
About the Affordable Care Act (ACA)-also known as Obamacare:
- Understanding Obamacare: POLITICO’s Guide to the Affordable Care Act (from September 2013).
- A Quick Guide to Rising Obamacare Rates (from October 2016).
About the Antifa (militant anti-fascist movement):
- Antifa: A Look at the Anti-Fascist Movement Confronting White Supremacists in the Streets: Part 1 · Part 2.
- Trump Asks, ‘What About the Alt-Left?’ Here’s an Answer.
About the Common Core standards:
- Everything you need to know about the Common Core (from September 2014)
- The Common Core, explained (from May 2015).
A Timely Guide to the North Korea Crisis: “an overview of The New York Times’s coverage of the events as they have unfolded so far”.
Searching for Syria: “exploring the world’s top questions about the Syrian refugee crisis”. By the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR).
Books for children & young adults
Books about women & society:
- 12 Feminist Kids’ Books for Dismantling the Patriarchy
- 19 Children’s Books That Help Kids Understand Feminism
- 23 Feminist Books Every Child Should Read
- What are the best feminism books for children?
Books that celebrate diversity & inclusivity:
- 7 Books That Teach Kids About Diversity
- 10 Children’s Books that Celebrate Diversity
- 12 books that teach kids the importance of being inclusive
- 15 Great Childrens Books That Celebrate Diversity
- Children’s Books That Tackle Race and Ethnicity
Books that support activism & social justice:
- 20 Empowering Children’s Books That Celebrate Diversity and Social Justice
- 30 Young Adult Books for Activists-in-Training
- Book List for the New Future
- Summer Reading For Your Woke Kid
25 Books in Our Resistance Library: fiction & non-fiction books exploring activism, social issues, faith, and politics. By Sojourners.
American Democracy Under Threat?: A Syllabus: readings about various areas that may be negatively affected by the Trump administration. By the Columbia University learn-in team.
HOPE not Hate investigations & special reports:
- A Nation Divided: A HOPE not Hate US Election special.
- 2017 State of Hate: A HOPE not Hate special report into extremism in Britain and Europe today.
Trump Syllabus 2.0: “An introduction to the currents of American culture that led to ‘Trumpism'”. By Public Books.