It is abundantly clear that federal funding will be cut to support organizations supporting women’s health, the environment & other progressive causes; it is also likely other federal funding will dry up for civil rights defense, freedom of the press, and similar issues. This is a list of organizations, from mainstream to very grassroots, that could use your support.
We make no endorsements and encourage you to be thoughtful about how you donate your money. Keep in mind that local grassroots organizations may struggle, could lose funding, and might have less access to wealthy donors who can help fill the gap.
While one time donations are great, ongoing donations are even better! Becoming a sustaining (monthly) donor means an organization can rely on your donation, which translates into better long-term planning and sustainability.
Wanna learn how to fundraise? Here’s one place to start: Fundraising Guide by the Foundation Center.
- Donate Bigly: progressive causes to support & members of the Trump administration on whose behalf you may donate.
- Holy F*ck. Now What?: find causes to support based on interest.
- Progressive community organizations to donate to: list of progressive organizations by region.
- Rage Donate: features quotes of politicians attacking people & causes, along with organizations which support them.
- A Quick Guide to Supporting Abortion Providers That Need it Most: most vulnerable abortion clinics in each state.
- Rapid Response Giving: in response to Trump’s immigration ban.
- These Organizations Will Critically Need Support During Trump’s Presidency: select progressive social justice organizations.
- “[…] To Support People Under Threat”: select progressive organizations whom John Oliver recommends to support.
- Together List: searchable database of progressive organizations.
- BBB Wise Giving Alliance: for organizations accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB). By the BBB. (United States)
- Charity Navigator: for non-profit organizations. (United States)
- CharityWatch: for non-profit organizations. (United States)
- ECFA Enhancing Trust in Churches: for Christian churches & ministries. By the ECFA. (United States)
- Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability (ECFA): for Christian non-profit organizations. (United States)
- GuideStar: for non-profit organizations. (United States)
- Americans for the Arts: advocacy for the arts. (United States)
- ConnectionsForArt: provides an artist registry & connects people in the visual arts professions. (New Jersey)
- Public Art Fund: displays contemporary art in public spaces through free-of-charge exhibitions. (New York City)
- Sins Invalid: performance project that incubates & celebrates artists who are disabled, people of color, and/or part of the LGBT+ community. (San Francisco Bay Area)
- United Arts Funds (UAFs): raise money to provide grant to local arts institutions in the community. (United States)
- CASA for Children: recruits, trains & supports volunteers to advocate for abused & neglected children. (United States)
- Coalition for Responsible Home Education (CRHE): educates the homeschooling community about their legal rights & responsibilities, and advocates for protecting homeschooled students from child abuse & educational neglect. (United States)
- Homeschool Alumni Reaching Out (HARO): raises awareness about mental illness, child abuse & neglect in the homeschool community; builds peer-support networks between current homeschool students & homeschool graduates; and provides resources to support homeschool graduates. (United States)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): advocacy for & defense of civil rights & protected freedoms. (United States)
- American Jewish Committee (AJC): advocates for civil liberties of Jews, fights discrimination against various minority communities, and works for social equality. (United States)
- Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR): advocates for civil liberties of Muslims; promote dialogue & mutual understanding between Muslims & non-Muslims. (United States)
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF): provides education and advocates for legal & civil rights for Latinx communities. (United States)
- Muslim Justice League: “educates, organizes and advocates for human and civil rights that are violated or threatened under national security pretexts”. (United States)
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund (NAACPLDF): advocates for civil rights for the black community. (United States)
- National Lawyers Guild (NLG): unites those employed in law professions in support of human rights. (United States)
- The Sikh Coalition: defense of civil rights for Sikhs; law & policy advocacy to protect rights of Sikhs. (United States)
- BreakOut: fights criminalization of LGBT+ youth. (New Orleans)
- Center for Policing Equity: supports data-driven & evidence-based policy change in law enforcement. (United States)
- Drug Policy Alliance: advocates for reform of drug policy & legal penalties related to drugs. (International)
- Impact Justice: investigates ways to reduce incarceration & advocates for restorative justice. (United States)
- Justice Now: works with those in women’s prisons & aims to build a safe & compassionate world without prisons. (California)
- LGBT Books to Prisoners: sends books & other educational materials, free of charge, to LGBT+ prisoners. (United States)
- Measures for Justice: supports data-driven assessment & analysis of the criminal justice system. (United States)
- Survived and Punished: fights criminalization of domestic & sexual violence survivors. (United States)
- Transgender, Gender Variant & Intersex Justice Project (TGIJP): supports currently & formerly incarcerated transgender, gender variant & intersex people. (United States)
- Lifeline Crisis Chat: chat network for emotional support, crisis intervention & suicide prevention services. (United States)
- National Hopeline Network & IMAlive: crisis intervention & suicide prevention network. (United States)
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: crisis intervention & suicide prevention hotline. (United States)
- Trans Lifeline: crisis intervention hotline by & for transgender people. (United States & Canada)
- The Trevor Project: provides crisis intervention & suicide prevention for LGBT+ youth. (United States)
- The Advocacy Institute: aims to develop products, projects & services to aid people with disabilities. (United States)
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA): protects civil & legal rights of students with disabilities. (United States)
- Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund: civil rights law & policy center, by & for people with disabilities. (United States)
- Learning Disabilities Association of America (LDAA): supports people with learning disabilities. (United States)
- National Disability Rights Network (NDRN): advocates for civil & legal rights of people with disabilities. (United States)
- Helping Education to Advance Rights of the Deaf (HEARD): promotes equal access to legal system for individuals who are deaf and for people with disabilities. (United States)
- PACER Center: aids children with disabilities. (United States)
- Adult Survivors of Child Abuse (ASCA): self-help support group program for adult survivors of child neglect, physical abuse, sexual abuse, and/or emotional abuse. (International)
- Community United Against Violence (CUAV): advocates for safe communities for LGBT+ people & provides support to LGBT+ survivors of abuse. (San Francisco)
- The Network / La Red: survivor-led organizing to end partner abuse in LGBT+ communities. (United States)
- Safe Horizon: supports victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault & human trafficking. (United States)
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN): advocates for victims of & fights against sexual violence. (United States)
- Davidson Institute for Talent Development: supports profoundly intelligent students & gifted education. (United States)
- NEA Legislative Action Center: advocates for policies to support school teachers & public schools. (United States)
- The Network for Public Education (NPE): aims to “preserve, protect, promote and improve public schools”. (United States)
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE): defends rights of individuals at colleges & universities. (United States)
- Doctors Without Borders / Médicins Sans Frontières (MSF): provides medical care. (International)
- International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC): provides medical care & humanitarian aid. (International)
- Syria Civil Defense / White Helmets: civil defense, search & rescue services in war-torn areas. (Syria)
- 350: grassroots movement to build a more sustainable world, protect the environment & fight climate change. (International)
- Citizens’ Climate Lobby: advocates for & organizes to support solutions to climate change. (International)
- Greenpeace: advocates for the environment. (International)
- Rising Tide North America: grassroots network for “confronting the root causes of climate change”. (North America)
- Sierra Club: advocates for the environment. (United States)
- Abortion Care Network: network of independent abortion providers & ally organizations. (United States)
- Access Reproductive Care – Southeast: provides financial assistance & logistical support for abortion access. (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina & Tennessee)
- National Network of Abortion Funds: aims to “remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access”. (United States)
- Magnolia Fund: Southerners for Reproductive Equity: provides financial assistance & support for abortion access. (Georgia)
- Mississippi Reproductive Freedom Fund: provides financial assistance & support for abortion access. (Mississippi)
- Planned Parenthood: provides health testing, family planning services & reproductive health care. (United States)
Fighting hate & bigotry
- ExitUSA: help for those who were previously involved with & would like to leave the “white power movement”. (United States)
- Hope Not Hate (HnH): provides research, education & resources to advocate for minority & immigrant communities, promote diversity & inclusivity, and fight hate. (United Kingdom)
- Life After Hate: support for former members of extremist, far-right, racist and/or violent hate groups. (United States)
- Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC): fights hate & bigotry; seeks justice for vulnerable members of society through litigation, education & advocacy. (United States)
- Feeding America: network of food banks & food pantries; provider of hunger relief. (United States)
- Food Connect: food rescue & local distribution network; directs surplus food to local shelters. (Philadelphia)
- The Gleaning Network of Texas: gathers surplus food produce & distributes these to those in need. (Texas)
- Love Thy Neighbor: feeds the hungry; provides culinary skills career training to homeless people. (Fort Lauderdale)
- Society of St. Andrew (SoSA): gathers left-behind & unmarketable produce at farms & distributes these to those in need; serves food pantries & soup kitchens. (United States)
- Ali Forney Center: supports homeless LGBT+ youth. (New York)
- Causa Justa / Just Cause: fights displacement & gentrification; advocates for housing access, immigrant rights, and low-income & minority communities. (Oakland & San Francisco)
- Coalition on Homelessness: advocacy for the homeless with front-line service providers & allies. (San Francisco)
- Metropolitan Council on Housing: advocates for housing justice & tenants’ rights. (New York City)
- Families USA: aims to “achieve high-quality, comprehensive, and affordable health care for all Americans”. (United States)
- National Health Service Corps: supports primary care providers & medical centers in underserved communities. (United States)
- NJ for Healthcare: advocates for comprehensive & affordable health care for New Jerseyans. (New Jersey)
- The Cosecha Movement / El Movimiento Cosecha: advocates for protection of undocumented immigrants. (United States)
- Families for Freedom: multi-ethnic human rights organization by & for families at risk of deportation. (New York)
- Immigrant Defense Project: aims to secure fairness & justice for immigrants with law- & community-based work. (United States)
- Make the Road New Jersey: advocates for immigrants & working class communities. (New Jersey)
- Make the Road New York: advocates for immigrants & working class communities. (New York City)
- The New Mexico Immigrant Law Center: advocates for legal rights of immigrants. (New Mexico)
- New Sanctuary Philadelphia: interfaith organizing to support justice for immigrants. (Philadelphia)
- Puente Arizona: advocates for migrant justice. (Phoenix)
- Queer Detainee Empowerment Project (QDEP): supports LGBT+ & HIV+ detainees & families. (United States)
- Black & Pink: pen pal program to connect LGBT+ prisoners & free world allies who support each other. (United States)
- Everyone is Gay: provides support for LGBT+ youth by providing advice and fostering dialogue. (United States)
- Familia: Trans Queer Liberation Movement: advocates for LGBT+ Latin@ communities. (United States)
- The GALIP Foundation: Christian outreach to the LGBT+ community & directory of LGBT+ affirming churches. (United States)
- Gender Spectrum: aims to “create gender sensitive & inclusive environments for children & teens”. (United States)
- Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice: works to advance LGBT+ rights globally. (International)
- Equality House: advocates for LGBT+ rights; resource center for select human rights & bully prevention initiatives. (Topeka)
- National Center for Lesbian Rights (NCLR): advocates for rights of LGBT+ people & families. (United States)
- National LGBTQ Task Force: advocates for LGBT+ rights & supports LGBT+ welcoming communities. (United States)
- Southerners On New Ground (SONG): advocates for the LGBT+ community. (southern United States)
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project: advocates for freedom to self-determine gender identity & expression. (United States)
- Trans Justice Funding Project: community-led funding to support social justice groups by & for transgender people. (United States)
- Trans Law Help: database of legal resources to aid the transgender community. (United States)
- Transgender Law Center: works to change law & policy and advocates for the transgender community. (United States)
- The Icarus Project: support network & education project by & for people with mental illness. (United States)
- Mental Health America (MHA): advocacy & support for those who need mental health & recovery services. (United States)
- Mental Health First Aid: provides training for how to “respond to the signs of mental illness and substance use”. (United States)
- The National Council for Behavioral Health: advocacy for mental health & addiction treatment. (United States)
- The American Military Partner Association: supports families of LGBT+ service members.
- Opposing the Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL):
- Standing Rock: governing body of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Council who opposes the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- Camp of the Sacred Stones & Red Warrior Camp: two indigenous led camps resisting the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- #NoDAPL Solidarity: Indigenous led movement to oppose the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- ReZpect Our Water: Standing Rock youth organization opposing construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- Two Spirit Nation (Paypal & Fundly): indigenous LGBT+ advocacy group defending Standing Rock.
- Opposing the Pilgrim Pipeline:
- Coalition Against Pilgrim Pipelines (CAPP): opposes the construction of Pilgrim’s pipelines.
- Opposing the Wylfa-B (Wylfa Newydd) nuclear power plant:
- Pob Atal Wylfa-B / People Against Wylfa-B (PAWB): advocacy group that opposes Wylfa-B.
People of color (POC)
- Black Youth Project: Black youth organization dedicated to mobilizing young Black people to work towards creating justice and freedom for all Black people. (United States)
- Black-Led Movement Fund: collaborative and pooled donor fund established by the Ford Foundation & anonymous donors to support philanthropic & field-building activities that strengthen the next generation of social justice leaders. (United States)
- Color of Change: aims for racial justice. (United States)
- FIERCE: organization for “building the leadership & power of LGBTQ youth of color”. (New York City)
- Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ): organizes White people to fight racism & stand up for racial justice. (United States)
- Voices of Colour: youth-led platform for discussing race related issues by & for young people of colour. (United Kingdom)
- Everytown for Gun Safety: advocacy for sensible gun laws & campaigns to end gun violence. (United States)
- Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America: advocacy by mothers for sensible gun laws. (United States)
- Help Refugees: grassroots humanitarian organization to aid refugees & displaced persons. (United Kingdom)
- International Refugee Assistance Project (IRAC):
- International Rescue Committee (IRC): provides services for refugees around the world. (International)
- One World, One Love: volunteer coalition & rapid response team to aid refugees with resettlement. (New Jersey)
- Refugee Assistance Partners (RAP): interfaith coalition to aid refugees with resettlement. (Scotch Plains & Fanwood)
- Center for Reproductive Rights: defends legal right to abortion & abortion access for women. (United States)
- NARAL Pro-Choice America: aims to protect & expand reproductive rights & freedoms. (United States)
- Planned Parenthood Action Fund: advocates for affordable reproductive care and safe & legal abortion. (United States)
- Prison Birth Project: reproductive justice for incarcerated women & transgender people. (Massachusetts)
- Bread & Roses Community Fund: organizing donors at all levels to support community-based groups in building movements for racial equity and economic opportunity. (Philadelphia)
- Catalyst Project: Anti-Racism for Collective Liberation: organizing White people to fight racism & war, as well as to support working-class communities of color. (United States)
- City Life / Vida Urbana: fight for racial, social & economic justice, and gender equality through direct action, coalition building, education & advocacy. (Massachusetts)
- Equal Justice Initiative (EJI): “challenges poverty and racial injustice, advocates for equal treatment in the criminal justice system, and creates hope for marginalized communities.” (United States)
- Highlander Education and Research Center: grassroots organizing & movement building for “justice, equality and sustainability”. (Appalachia & southern United States)
- McKenzie River Gathering (MRG) Foundation: supports social change & social justice advocacy. (Oregon)
- New Jersey Institute for Social Justice (NJIST): advocates for economic mobility & criminal justice reform; supports civic engagement for democracy & social justice. (New Jersey)
- South Asian Americans Leading Together (SAALT): “advocates around issues affecting South Asian communities through a social justice framework”. (United States)
- Spirit in Action: leadership development for “equality, peace, and justice for all”. (United States)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF): advocacy & legal action to protect digital rights & freedoms. (United States)
- Internet Freedom Foundation: advocacy to support the open internet & net neutrality, privacy & security, and protection against censorship. (India)
- Save The Internet: advocacy to protect the open internet & preserve net neutrality. (United States)
- Doula Project (Fall Fundraiser on Generosity.com): provides care and emotional, physical & informational support to people across the spectrum of pregnancy. (New York City)
- Emma Goldman Clinic: provides gynecology services & reproductive health care. (Iowa City)
- Jackson Women’s Health Organization: provides women’s health services & reproductive care. (Mississippi)
- Queer & Trans* People of Color Birthwerq Project: workshop for queer & trans* people of color. (United States)
- Women’s Community Clinic: aims to improve the health & well-being of women & girls. (San Francisco Bay Area)
- Global Fund for Women: advocates for human rights of women & girls around the world. (International)
- Unchained At Last: aids women escaping & advocates against child, arranged & forced marriages. (United States)
- Women With A Vision: aims to improve the lives of marginalized women, families & communities. (New Orleans)