Analyses & insights
At Yale, we conducted an experiment to turn conservatives into liberals. The results say a lot about our political divisions.: “[…] if they had instead just imagined being completely physically safe, the Republicans became significantly more liberal […]”
How to Stop Violence: “Mentally ill people aren’t killers. Angry people are.”
I Used to Run the Immigration Service—and Trump’s Refugee Policy Is Baseless: “A former director of the USCIS […] argues that admitting refugees is in the best interest of the United States”.
In cowboy country, inequality is not a bug. It’s a uniquely American strategy.: “[…] the goal is not to make sure everyone is safe and secure. It is to enable a few people to do really, really well.”
Our Broken Economy, in One Simple Chart: “The basic problem is that most families used to receive something approaching their fair share of economic growth, and they don’t anymore.”
The gun lobby: See how much your representative gets: “Attention is being thrust back on the gun lobby as lawmakers give gun control measures a fresh look […]”.
“We are relearning democracy”: 5 Ways the anti-Trump movement “Indivisible” is redefining political action: “five reasons why this movement is making a difference”.
Why Tax Cuts for the Rich Solve Nothing: “Tax policies that favor rich corporations will not ameliorate any of the United States’s many major problems.”
You probably knew this, but don’t believe arguments about how corporate tax cuts help the middle class: why trickle-down economics “may provide ‘merriment and diversion’ to the investor class, but for the rest of us, it’s just a bad deal”.
Calls to action
Christians’ Call to Speak Truth to ‘Alternative Facts’: “We cannot let our knowledge of both objective scientific facts and deeper spiritual truths become causalities of this administration.”
Hitting the Pavement Instead of the Sheetcake: “[…] we have to robe up, show up, stand up, and pray up, whenever possible.”
N.J. social justice group: After Charlottesville, you must speak out!: “Make no mistake: we are at a critical point in our democracy and history as a nation, and staying on the sidelines is not an option.”
Now Is a Time for Faith to Flourish: “two critical roles for people of faith under a Trump administration”.
Why We ALL Need to Be Activists Right Now: “This fraught moment calls for a paradigm shift in the way we think about participating in politics, and if the history of democracy has anything to say about it, the only American choice is to continue fighting.”
Documentaries & videos
Charlottesville: Race and Terror: about the Unite the Right rally & anti-hate counter-protest in Charlottesville, VA (from August 2017).
Hate Rising with Jorge Ramos: how alt-right & white supremacist ideas “are becoming mainstream thanks in part to the rhetoric on the campaign trail this election cycle” (from October 2016).
Editorials & opinion pieces
A Christian Case Against the Pence Rule: “It’s time for men in power to believe their female peers when they say that the rule hurts more than helps.”
Christians Need a New Right to Life Movement: “Surely Christians across the political spectrum believe we’re called to feed the hungry, heal the sick, protect the weak and welcome the stranger.”
Democracy is dying – and it’s startling how few people are worried: “[..] if one faraway kleptocrat steals them from his subjects, that is like stealing them from ourselves”.
Donald Trump is Gaslighting America: about “Trump’s systematic attempts to destabilize the truth and weaken the foundation of American freedom”.
Donald Trump’s True Allegiances: “This is the inescapable fact: on November 9th, the United States elected a dishonest, inept, unbalanced, and immoral human being as its President and Commander-in-Chief.”
Historical Amnesia About Slavery Is a Tool of White Supremacy: “Where we have (mostly) condemned slavery, we as a country have refused to condemn its defenders.”
How to Build an Autocracy: “the playbook Donald Trump could use to set the country down a path toward illiberalism”.
I Don’t Know How To Explain To You That You Should Care About Other People: “Our disagreement is not merely political, but a fundamental divide on what it means to live in a society.”
Ordinary Americans Carried Out Inhumane Acts For Trump: a call to action: “what will we do” to stand against tyranny?
Resilience of the Resistance: “Not only is the movement against Trump still strong, but it appears to be getting stronger.”
The Sin of ‘Just Doing Our Job’: “Just because it’s legal and permissible by government standards doesn’t mean that Christians should passively permit injustice and allow evil to happen.”
The Case for Paying Less Attention to Donald Trump: why activists should give more attention to state & local governments.
Trump is a one-man assault on the rule of law: “His behavior is so extreme and so dangerous that to respond only episodically and occasionally is to risk allowing it to appear acceptable.”
Trump Isn’t An Evil Genius. And That’s Not What Matters Anyway.: why “America’s institutions and norms” will determine its future.
Want Gun Control? Learn from the N.R.A.: how the N.R.A. built “an organized base of grass-roots power”.
We’re on the Brink of an Authoritarian Crisis: an analysis of how Donald Trump & the Republican Party may deal with the investigation of Russian involvement with Donald Trump.
Faith community response
In support of assisting refugees:
- Dear Fellow Christians: It’s Time to Speak Up for Refugees. By The Exchange, from Christianity Today.
- Evangelicals, we cannot let alternative facts drive U.S. refugee policy. From the Washington Post.
- Rejecting Refugees, Rejecting Christ. From Sojourners.
- Where Is Your Jesus When You Ban Refugees?. From Sojourners.
- Why Are We Afraid Of Refugees?. From Sojourners.
In support of addressing climate change:
- Climate change fighter in Iowa employs God to sway conservatives. From the Des Moines Register.
In response to the tragic events in Charlottesville, VA:
- After Charlottesville. From Commonweal.
- After Charlottesville, 5 Jewish Ways to Help Kids Deal. From the Union for Reform Judaism.
- Charlottesville. By The American Court Jester.
- #Charlottesville, the Christian Response, and Your Church’s Call. By The Exchange, from Christianity Today.
- The Charlottesville Declaration: An Appeal to the Church in America. By the Reformed African American Network.
- What Your Church Can Do After Charlottesville: 5 Steps Forward. From Sojourners.
In response to the Nashville statement:
- Christians United: In Support of LGBT+ Inclusion in the Church. By Nomad Partnerships, in partnership with others.
- The Denver Statement. By Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber, House For All Sinners & Saints (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America).
- In Response To The Anti-LGBTQ ‘Nashville Statement,’ A ‘Nazareth Statement’. By Rev. Jacqueline Lewis, Middle Collegiate Church (Reformed Church in America).
- A Liturgists Statement: God is Love. By The Liturgists.
- The Nashville Statement (A Plain Language Translation) & The Church Beloved: A Manifesto of LGBTQ-Affirming Christians. By Pr. John Pavlovitz, North Raleigh Community Church.
- Nashville Statement Damaging to People and to the Evangelical Witness. By Jim Wallis. From Sojourners.
- Reflections in the wake of the Nashville Statement. By Isaac Archuleta, The Gay Christians Network.
- Seven simple ways to respond to the Nashville Statement on sexuality. By Fr. James Martin, S.J.
- A Statement on the Nashville Statement & How The Nashville Statement Erases Jesus. From Red Letter Christians.
In response to sexual assault allegations against Roy Moore:
- An Open Letter From Alabama Pastors About Roy Moore. Led by Rev. Dr. Dave Barnhart, St. Junia (United Methodist Church).
- “Predatory, soul twisting”: Southern Baptist Leader Slams Christians for Supporting Roy Moore. From Deep South Voice.
- Raising the Voice of Christians Against the Election of Roy Moore. By the Christian Democrats of America.
In opposition to oppressive & abusive leadership:
- A Guide to Sexual Assault Claims for Bible Belt Evangelicals. By Pr. John Pavlovitz, North Raleigh Community Church.
- The Boston Declaration: A Prophetic Appeal to Christians of the USA. Led by Rev. Dr. Pamela Lightsey (Boston University), Rev. Dr. Peter Heltzel (New York Theological Seminary), and Rev. Dr. Susan Thistlethwaite (Chicago Theological Seminary).
Lessons from history & politics
A Morgantown, WV referendum on Trump. And he lost. & Part II of the WV Trump Referendum: How’d they do that?: how the people of Morgantown elected progressives at the local level.
A professor of German history explains the true horror of Trump’s response to Charlottesville: “If the President of the United States cannot condemn individuals who march under the flag of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany, how can he possibly claim to represent America, its values, and all of its citizens?”
American Fascism, in 1944 and Today: compares American fascism of the World War II era to that of the present.
Against Normalization: The Lesson of the “Munich Post”: an expert on World War II writes about Hitler & Trump.
Bonhoeffer on the ‘Stupidity’ That Led to Hitler’s Rise: words of warning from German Lutheran minister, scholar, and theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer, anti-fascist activist & victim of the Nazis.
From Protests Past, Lessons in What Works: advice & strategies for effective activism & lasting impacts following protests.
Here’s What It’s Like At The Headquarters Of The Teens Working To Stop Mass Shootings: “Just days after surviving a mass shooting, a team of teens are trying to start a revolution from their parents’ living rooms.”
In 1939, I didn’t hear war coming. Now its thundering approach can’t be ignored: “I did not hear the thundering approach of war, but as an old man I hear it now for my grandchildren’s generation. I hope I am wrong. But I am petrified for them.”
In Venezuela, we couldn’t stop Chávez. Don’t make the same mistakes we did.: “So now, to my American friends, here is some advice on how to avoid Venezuela’s mistakes.”
The big lesson of Trump’s first 2 weeks: resistance works: how “protests, phone calls, and mobilization are making a difference”.
The Reichstag Warning: lessons from the Reichstag fire.
The Return of Civil Disobedience: on recent historical instances of civil disobedience & what to expect to see in the Trump era.
To Stop Trump, Democrats Can Learn from the Tea Party: effective political action tactics employed by the Tea Party & how these can be harnessed to campaign for progressive change.
Want to understand what Trump and Bannon are up to? Look to the Russian Revolution of 1917: lessons from the Russian Revolution on tactics used & how to defeat them.
What we need now: A National Moratorium to End the Trump Presidency: “Is there a lesson for today’s Trump Resistance in a wildly successful protest that took place nearly 48 years ago?”
When Dallas Was the Most Racist City in America: “how the Dallas Morning News led the fight” against the Ku Klux Klan (KKK).
Why Some Protests Succeed While Others Fail: analysis of past protests & advice for future protests.